Enjoy the long weekend with these ideas for celebrating outdoor spaces and buying local.
For many of us, today marks the start of a long weekend. Whether you’re escaping the city or staying in to watch the return of Tom Brady, here’s a #FiveTipsFriday to help reduce your carbon footprint while having fun:
- Enjoy the outdoors. Local weather reports are promising a nice fall weekend. Take advantage of the sunshine, crisp air and get outside! (Pro tip: Find one of Boston’s outdoor Play Me, I’m Yours Street Pianos or compete in a table tennis tournament at Faneuil Hall.)
- Shop local. Boston’s South End has locally made, locally sourced products at the South End Open Market this weekend.
- Go outside the city. Tis’ the season for apple picking! Find a local pick-your-own and dig up sweet recipes to share with friends and family.
- Compost your cleanup. If you’ll be doing some yard work this weekend, download the Trash Day App so you know when the next leaf and yard waste pickup is on your street.
- Green your ride. For all travel this weekend, consider an active option. If you’re traveling within the Greater Boston area or beyond, make use of the MBTA Commuter Rail and Amtrak. If you’re traveling with a group, even better! Carpool or make use of a ride-sharing program. Want some creative ideas for a clean-air commute? Read about the different ways the Greenovate team gets around with low impacts.