Find out what happened at the recent Climate Ready South Boston open house.
The Climate Ready Boston initiative is preparing Boston for the near- and long-term impacts of climate change. We recently hosted an open house at the Boston Children’s Museum on planning resilience in the South Boston neighborhood.
The event on the Climate Ready South Boston project included a presentation on the project goals and progress, results from our community survey, feedback from the previous open house, and neighborhood climate resilience options for South Boston.
Attendees had a chance to learn about the current and future risks in South Boston, as well as the short-term and long-term strategies we were considering for South Boston. The design team gave a 20 minute presentation, and then encouraged the participants to walk around, study the posters, and give feedback on each option. We had 160 people come out to learn more about resilience in the neighborhood.
Here are our top three takeaways from what we heard from folks at the open house:
- People expressed concern about immediate next steps, especially following the January and March storms. They were eager to see early actions taken soon, especially in the Fort Point Channel area.
- Attendees liked the green infrastructure resilience options and wanted to see them incorporated as much as possible. They highlighted the need for living shorelines and open spaces that provided public amenities.
- People inquired more on the process of how these options were going to be funded, implemented, and governed.
The project team is now analyzing the options and will incorporate people’s feedback and consider the regulatory, governance, and funding feasibility of each option. Climate Ready Boston aims to release a detailed report in the early summer of 2018.
As the project moves forward, there are several ways for you to contribute:
- Provide your input to the Climate Ready South Boston project team by contacting Greenovate Boston with your input. Check out more about the project and review key information from previous open houses online.
- Attend the other community events involving climate resiliency in South Boston like the upcoming Moakley Park Vision Plan meeting. It will take place at Tierney Learning Center at 6:30pm on April 11th. Details and RSVP here.
Climate Ready Boston is the City’s initiative to prepare Boston for the near- and long-term impacts of climate change. We are working with the community and in our neighborhoods to protect and prepare Boston for climate change while advancing our vision of a Climate Ready Boston.