Natural Gas Leaks Ordinance Support Fellow – Spring 2018
The Mayor’s Office of Environment, Energy and Open Space, City of Boston
Brief Job Description:
The City of Boston Environment Department works to foster sustainability and climate action throughout the City through numerous programs, initiatives, and policies. Today, the Environment Department is implementing strategies to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, encourage energy efficiency, and prepare for climate change. In 2016, the city enacted the Ordinance Regarding Management and Elimination of Natural Gas Leaks. The Fellow will work to support activities related to the natural gas leaks ordinance, and other policies and programs of the Environment Department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support policy and regulatory development and implementation for the Ordinance Regarding Management and Elimination of Natural Gas Leaks and other City ordinances pertaining to natural gas, other energy sources, and other sources of greenhouse gases.
- Support development and implementation of programs to reduce the use of natural gas and other sources of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Support policy and programs related to climate, energy, air and noise pollution, and other activities of the Environment Department.
- Perform related work as required.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications:
- At least three years’ experience or educational equivalent in environmental science, urban planning, data science, engineering, law, or policy, or related fields. A bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to work with diverse interests and backgrounds.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Energy, creativity, and entrepreneurship.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
- Proficiency in Excel (or other spreadsheet tools) and Office
- Hourly rate: $20
- Hours per week: 35
- Duration: Position start through June 30, 2018