Does your property need to comply with Boston’s Building Energy Reporting and Disclosure Ordinance (BERDO) this year? Learn how to submit your report in twenty minutes!
BERDO requires large buildings and institutions to report their annual energy and water usage. Properties required to comply in 2016 are:
• Nonresidential buildings over 35,000 square feet
• Residential buildings that are 50,000 square feet or larger, or have 50 or more units
• Any parcel with multiple buildings that sum to 100,000 square feet or 100 units (report on all buildings)
Important things to remember:
1. Deadline to report is May 15, 2016
2. Report on all sources of energy and water for your property
3. Make sure your bills cover the entire time period between January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015
4. Always feel free to reach out to email@example.com with questions.
This online tutorial provides an overview of the ordinance, and live walkthroughs of the Eversource portal and Portfolio Manager portal. The five steps to comply, as well as additional helpful resources, can be found below. Follow along on video with the below step by steps instructions.
Steps to Comply / Video Table of Contents
• Eversource Online Portal - to access whole building data
• National Grid - to access whole building data
• Boston Water and Sewer Commission - to access water bills
• Veolia - Email with address and account info: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Additional forms:
- Property Owner Verification Form
- Tenant Authorization Form
• Create an account.
• Add your property.
• Enter size and details of your building.
Property Information Request Form - From Owner to Tenant - to ask for building details (optional)
• Create energy meters.
• Enter utility bills
• Create water meter and enter bills
• Check for errors
Step 4. Enter contextual info:
• Boston Energy Reporting ID - your Parcel ID
• Enter Property Notes, if necessary
IMPORTANT: There is one final step after inputting your information into Portfolio Manager! You’ll need to submit your report through this submitting link.
- Building Energy Reporting and Disclosure Ordinance Website - City of Boston
- The Boston Energy Reporting How To Guide
- Supplemental Forms
- Portfolio Manager Training and Helpdesk
- Portfolio Manager Support Email: email@example.com
- City of Boston, Energy Reporting Support Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for helping Boston reduce our energy usage, energy costs, and greenhouse gas emissions!